Islamic sect, flood kill 6 in northern Nigerian town
Abuja: Six persons were killed in Gushau in Nigeria`s northern state of Yobe as violent Islamic sect Boko Haram struck just after heavy rainstorms devastated some areas of the city.
Two persons were shot dead by suspected sect members who attacked a bank while floods claimed four lives, yesterday.
"A policeman and suspected Boko Haram terrorist were killed when some Islamic militants attacked Agric Bank in Gashua town police commissioner for the state, Patrick Egbuniwe said in Damaturu, the state capital.
In the rainstorms, four persons were killed and over 50 houses were destroyed and 100 persons internally displaced, local government officials said.
"As it is now, four people have been confirmed dead because of the heavy rainfall that flooded Gashua town spokesman for Bade Local Council, Garba Maigari said.
Boko Haram, carries out frequent attacks in northern Nigeria. The group has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria`s northern cities in their bid to install an Islamic emirate in the country.
In January, the sect attacked the city of Kano killing more than 180 persons.
In several of the sect`s attacks, bombs, suicide bombers and drive-by gun shots have been used to kill hundreds of people.
The oil-rich African country has a population of 150 million equally divided among Christians and Muslims. The Muslims are mostly found in the north while the Christians have their majority in the south.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Three linked to California terror attack arrested
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped