Islamic sect, flood kill 6 in northern Nigerian town
Abuja: Six persons were killed in Gushau in Nigeria`s northern state of Yobe as violent Islamic sect Boko Haram struck just after heavy rainstorms devastated some areas of the city.
Two persons were shot dead by suspected sect members who attacked a bank while floods claimed four lives, yesterday.
"A policeman and suspected Boko Haram terrorist were killed when some Islamic militants attacked Agric Bank in Gashua town police commissioner for the state, Patrick Egbuniwe said in Damaturu, the state capital.
In the rainstorms, four persons were killed and over 50 houses were destroyed and 100 persons internally displaced, local government officials said.
"As it is now, four people have been confirmed dead because of the heavy rainfall that flooded Gashua town spokesman for Bade Local Council, Garba Maigari said.
Boko Haram, carries out frequent attacks in northern Nigeria. The group has been waging a sustained war in Nigeria`s northern cities in their bid to install an Islamic emirate in the country.
In January, the sect attacked the city of Kano killing more than 180 persons.
In several of the sect`s attacks, bombs, suicide bombers and drive-by gun shots have been used to kill hundreds of people.
The oil-rich African country has a population of 150 million equally divided among Christians and Muslims. The Muslims are mostly found in the north while the Christians have their majority in the south.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog