Islamist leader seeks to turn Buckingham Palace into mosque
London: An extremist Islamist leader, who is campaigning to introduce sharia courts in the UK, seeks to turn Buckingham Palace into a mosque, the latest news report said on Thursday.
Days before a potentially incendiary rally in central London to demand the introduction of sharia courts in Britain, Anjem Choudary claims to have uncovered historical evidence which challenges the right of Queen Elizabeth II to live at the royal palace.
Choudary, the right-hand man of exiled Islamist cleric Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed, demanded the palace be renamed Buckingham Masjid, and the Mall, which approaches the palace, would become Masjid Road, the Daily Express newspaper reported today.
The protest on Saturday outside the British Parliament, less than a mile from Buckingham Palace, has raise concerns over security, the report said.
"There is a spark that has ignited and its flame has become unstoppable," Choudary wrote on the Islam4UK website.
"We find ourselves in the year 2009, waiting for Rome to fall, waiting for the White House to fall and indeed waiting for Buckingham Palace to fall," he was quoted as saying by the British tabloid.
Choudary said once the sharia was established the Queen’s official residence in London would have a dome fitted and a tannoy system to call followers to prayer.
The Islam4UK movement is made up of leading members of the banned radical al-Muhajiroun group which was once led by Choudary. Around 15 percent of people convicted in the UK of terrorism-related offences in the last decade were either members of the group or had links to it, the report claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org