Israel buys 20 stealth bombers from US
New York/Tel Aviv: Israel has inked a deal with the US to buy 20 fighter jets for $2.75 billion, a media report said Friday.
The F-35 stealth fighters, made by Lockheed Martin Corp, are scheduled for delivery between 2015 and 2017, Ehud Shani, director general of the Israeli Ministry of Defence, was quoted as saying by Israeli newspaper Haaretz.
The contract signed Thursday in New York by Shani and the US suppliers also provides an option for 75 more of the planes in future.
The move came amid ongoing tensions in the Middle East, including over Iran`s nuclear programme, believed by the international community to be aimed at producing nuclear weapons, a claim Tehran denies.
The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, also known as the Joint Strike Fighter, is reported to have advanced stealth technology allowing it to get past most detection and defence systems.
Shani was quoted as describing the deal as "an historic event and a new era in Israel`s military might in the face of challenges both near and far".
The Haaretz report said his comments could have referred to a potential strike of Iran`s nuclear facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US