Israel PM rules out complete settlement freeze
Jerusalem: Prime Minister Benjamin
Netanyahu today ruled out a complete freeze in settlement
activity as demanded by the US and said talks with Washington
were ongoing over how long any halt would last.
"The Palestinians are expecting a complete freeze in
construction and it is clear that this will not happen," a
senior official quoted Netanyahu as telling parliament`s
foreign affairs and defence committee.
Speaking a day before he was to meet US Middle East
peace envoy George Mitchell, the hawkish premier said there
was still no agreement with Washington on how long any halt in
settlement construction would last.
"The reduction of construction will only be
temporary and there is no agreement yet with the Americans on
how long it will last."
Netanyahu also reiterated that building would
continue in Arab east Jerusalem, which Israel annexed
following the 1967 Six Day War in a move not recognised by the
"Jerusalem is not a settlement and construction
there will continue as normal," he said.
Israel sees Jerusalem as its "eternal, undivided"
capital, while the Palestinians want to make the annexed
eastern sector the capital of their promised state.
Washington has for months been pressing Israel to
stop settlement activity in the whole of the occupied West
Bank including east Jerusalem in order to jump-start the
stalled peace process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered