Israel police kill Palestinian in raid on illegal migrants
Jerusalem: Israeli border police killed a Palestinian during a raid aimed at netting illegal immigrants in a suburb of commercial capital Tel Aviv early Saturday, a police spokeswoman said.
"Border police carried out an operation this morning in a cemetery in Petah Tikva looking for foreigners residing in Israel illegally," Luba Samri said.
"For reasons that are still unclear, a border policeman opened fire on an illegal resident, a Palestinian, who was there, and killed him," she said.
Israel requires that all Palestinians from the occupied territories apart from annexed Arab east Jerusalem have permits to be in the country.
The number of permits issued has dwindled to a trickle since the second intifada, or uprising, of 2000 to 2005.
Despite Israel`s construction of a vast separation barrier cutting through the West Bank, small numbers of Palestinians still manage to slip into Israel in search of illegal employment.
Last year, Israel launched a crackdown on what it said were 60,000 illegal immigrants from Africa, rounding up and deporting 3,920 by the end of 2012, and building a high-tech fence along the border with Egypt.
Parliament is mulling new legislation aimed at deporting thousands more migrants whom the government regards as a threat to the Jewish character of the state.
The bill, which was approved by ministers last Sunday, was formulated after a previous law from last year, allowing illegals to be detained without trial for three years, was overturned by the Supreme Court in September.
Human rights groups say that the majority of the African migrants in Israel cannot be deported because of threats to their lives in their homelands of Sudan and Eritrea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400