Israeli authorities receive threat letter
Jerusalem: Hours before the country is to celebrate its Independence Day, Israeli authorities Wednesday said they have received threats to move the ceremony to a closed venue "before state officials are hurt".
The threat came in a letter addressed to Public Diplomacy and Diaspora Affairs Minister, Yuli Edelstein, with the authorities saying that all precautions are being taken.
The envelope included a newspaper clipping with an article about the fatal accident that occurred on Mount Herzl during the rehearsals for the Independence Day event.
The ministry has filed a complaint with the police, Ynetnews reported.
Several ceremonies are planned across the state to pay respects to those who sacrificed their lives for the country, amid preparations for the Independence Day celebrations tomorrow.
The threat came as the nation observed the Remembrance Day to commemorate fallen soldiers and victims of terror.
As part of the day, life came to a standstill as a siren sounded and the country`s leaders pronounced that the Jewish State is "stronger than ever", but seeks peace with neighbours.
Israel has lost 22,993 soldiers in wars and terror attacks as per the defence ministry`s commemoration unit.
The past year saw 126 Israelis killed in the line of duty or in terror attacks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case