Israeli PM strikes surprise coalition deal
Jerusalem: In a dramatic move, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday cancelled early general elections after clinching a surprise deal with the main opposition Kadima party to form the largest-ever coalition government, which he said would advance peace talks with the Palestinians.
The deal to include the centrist Kadima party was announced a day after Netanyahu called for snap polls in September this year.
The surprise pact with the main opposition party would give Netanyahu an overwhelming majority in parliament for possible strike against Iranian nuclear facilities.
Netanyahu told reporters at a joint conference with Kadima party`s newly elected chairman Shaul Mofaz that the new unity government would bring "stability" to Israel.
But Labour party leader, Shelly Yacimovich, a former scribe who would now be appointed the opposition leader, slammed the move as "an alliance of cowards," and the "most ridiculous zig-zag in Israel`s political history, which no one will ever forget".
Defending his move, the Israeli premier said, "From the very beginning I wanted to continue to (the original date of the) elections, and when I saw that that stability was being undone I went for (early) elections."
"I jumped at the opportunity" to create the "widest government in Israel`s history," Netanyahu said.
He also addressed those criticising the deal, saying "Until a few days ago, I was told that I wanted elections in order to escape the budget, the Tal Law, and the toughest questions facing Israel."
Both the leaders said with the inclusion of Kadima, the 94-seat coalition would be the largest in the nation`s history and would be invaluable in achieving "historic" solutions to all outstanding problems, including Palestine issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly