Italian diplomat arrested by Philippines: Ministry
Rome: An Italian diplomat has been detained by police in the Philippines after allegedly breaching a law protecting minors, the Italian foreign ministry has said.
Daniele Bosio, the Italian ambassador to Turkmenistan, was on holiday in the Philippines when he was detained, the ministry said yesterday.
He is accused of "violating a law to protect minors", according to reports in the Italian media, although it was not confirmed in what respect the law is supposed to have been breached.
The 1992 law covers a broad remit covering everything from the exploitation of child labour to the possession of images of child pornography.
According to the website of the daily newspaper "La Repubblica", citing a police source in Manila, the allegations relate to three children, although the paper did not specify the nature of the accusations.
The paper said the diplomat denies the allegations.
- Thousands rally in Turkey to mark May Day amid tight security
- After Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, forest fire now rages in J&K
- Uttarakhand forest fires: Social media terms it ‘National Emergency’, around 3000 hectares of forest area destroyed
- US, Russia in bids to halt fighting in Syria`s Aleppo
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan