Italian diplomat arrested by Philippines: Ministry
Rome: An Italian diplomat has been detained by police in the Philippines after allegedly breaching a law protecting minors, the Italian foreign ministry has said.
Daniele Bosio, the Italian ambassador to Turkmenistan, was on holiday in the Philippines when he was detained, the ministry said yesterday.
He is accused of "violating a law to protect minors", according to reports in the Italian media, although it was not confirmed in what respect the law is supposed to have been breached.
The 1992 law covers a broad remit covering everything from the exploitation of child labour to the possession of images of child pornography.
According to the website of the daily newspaper "La Repubblica", citing a police source in Manila, the allegations relate to three children, although the paper did not specify the nature of the accusations.
The paper said the diplomat denies the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured