Italian diplomat arrested by Philippines: Ministry
Rome: An Italian diplomat has been detained by police in the Philippines after allegedly breaching a law protecting minors, the Italian foreign ministry has said.
Daniele Bosio, the Italian ambassador to Turkmenistan, was on holiday in the Philippines when he was detained, the ministry said yesterday.
He is accused of "violating a law to protect minors", according to reports in the Italian media, although it was not confirmed in what respect the law is supposed to have been breached.
The 1992 law covers a broad remit covering everything from the exploitation of child labour to the possession of images of child pornography.
According to the website of the daily newspaper "La Repubblica", citing a police source in Manila, the allegations relate to three children, although the paper did not specify the nature of the accusations.
The paper said the diplomat denies the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore