close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Italian kidnapped in Nigeria has been freed- Italy government

An Italian man kidnapped in Nigeria last week has been released, the Italian foreign ministry said on Thursday without giving further details.



Rome: An Italian man kidnapped in Nigeria last week has been released, the Italian foreign ministry said on Thursday without giving further details.

Marcello Rizzo, 55, from Sicily, was working for the Italian construction company Gitto Costruzioni when he was kidnapped in the Niger delta in southern Nigeria. He had been living in the country for eight years.

"We can confirm he has been freed but we have no more information to give at the moment," a foreign ministry spokeswoman said when asked about reports on Italian news agencies.

The Italian government announced Rizzo had been kidnapped on December 6, but officials said he was reported missing a few days earlier.
Kidnappings in southern Nigeria tend to be for ransom and the victims are often released. Abductions in the north are more often the work of Islamist militant groups linked to al Qaeda.

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions

trending

photo gallery

video


WION FEATURES

K8 Plus: Lenovo's new phone available @ Rs 10,999

Heavy security outside Dera Sacha Sauda headquarters in Sirsa as search operation begins

WATCH Exclusive: After Doklam standoff, India begins road construction near LAC

Hurricane Irma, rampaging through Caribbean, is most enduring super-storm on record

Three train derailments in 1 day, fourth accident narrowly-averted

China says Indian Army chief's views contrary to those expressed by Modi, Xi