Italy: Father throws toddler off bridge into river
Rome: An Italian man on Saturday threw his
16-month-old son off a bridge into the river in Rome in a fit
of rage following a custody row, and was arrested by police as
he fled, reports said.
The 26-year-old father admitted to police that he had
thrown his son into the freezing waters of the Tiber river
after arguing with the infant`s mother.
He was caught in the act by a passing prison officer, who
said the father was overwrought and yelled out before throwing
the child over the edge.
The unemployed man who has a criminal record for drug
dealing tried to flee the scene but was detained shortly
afterwards by police, the reports said.
Divers from the fire brigade searched the river for the
child but their efforts were hampered by strong currents and
poor weather conditions.
"We`re still searching, we`ll search for as long as we
can, but the snowfall and rain we`ve had these past few days
has swelled the river, making it very difficult indeed," a
spokeswoman for Rome`s fire brigade service said.
Rome`s deputy mayor, Sveva Belvisio, said the tragedy was
"an appalling story which causes anguish and astonishment. It
was an act of extreme cruelty."
"Our thoughts go to the innocent child, a victim of the
violence of a father who, instead of defending and protecting
him, treated him as an object on which to vent his
frustration," she said.
Belvisio called for an "immediate and exemplary sentence"
for the father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks