Italy: Father throws toddler off bridge into river
Rome: An Italian man on Saturday threw his
16-month-old son off a bridge into the river in Rome in a fit
of rage following a custody row, and was arrested by police as
he fled, reports said.
The 26-year-old father admitted to police that he had
thrown his son into the freezing waters of the Tiber river
after arguing with the infant`s mother.
He was caught in the act by a passing prison officer, who
said the father was overwrought and yelled out before throwing
the child over the edge.
The unemployed man who has a criminal record for drug
dealing tried to flee the scene but was detained shortly
afterwards by police, the reports said.
Divers from the fire brigade searched the river for the
child but their efforts were hampered by strong currents and
poor weather conditions.
"We`re still searching, we`ll search for as long as we
can, but the snowfall and rain we`ve had these past few days
has swelled the river, making it very difficult indeed," a
spokeswoman for Rome`s fire brigade service said.
Rome`s deputy mayor, Sveva Belvisio, said the tragedy was
"an appalling story which causes anguish and astonishment. It
was an act of extreme cruelty."
"Our thoughts go to the innocent child, a victim of the
violence of a father who, instead of defending and protecting
him, treated him as an object on which to vent his
frustration," she said.
Belvisio called for an "immediate and exemplary sentence"
for the father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?