Italy govt wins confidence vote on austerity plan
Rome: Italian Premier Mario Monti easily won
a vote of confidence in the Senate on Friday, signalling
parliamentary approval of the government`s USD 39 billion
package of tax hikes and pension changes.
The austerity package is intended to save the country
from financial disaster and follows rising concerns in the
markets that Italy will find it difficult to pay off its
massive debts, which stand at around USD 2.5 trillion.
The vote passed 257-41, following passage in the lower
Chamber of Deputies last week.
Had it been defeated, Monti and his government of
technocrats would have been forced to resign. The new
government is tasked with making sure that Italy did not
become the next victim of Europe`s debt crisis.
In remarks to lawmakers prior to the vote, Monti said the
package was "of extreme urgency and will allow Italy to face
the European crisis with its head held high."
Among the most disputed measures in the legislation is a
reform to Italy`s generous pension system, which will require
Italians to work longer. Many of former premier Silvio
Berlusconi`s loyalists, who make up Parliament`s largest
party, also opposed Monti`s decision to revive a home property
tax that Berlusconi had eliminated.
Unions staged strikes and demonstrations last week to
protest the measures.
Monti has said his package of tax hikes, reforms and
growth-boosting measures was the only way to save Italy
financially and give young Italians a foundation for economic
recovery and growth.
Data released yesterday showed that Italy, the eurozone`s
third-largest economy, contracted 0.2 per cent in the third
quarter, furthering predictions of a mild recession in 2012.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know