James Holmes’ mom learned of shooting from media
San Diego: Arlene Holmes, the mother of James Holmes, came to know about the Aurora shooting incident hours after the tragedy when she was contacted by a reporter, the family`s lawyer said on Monday.
Addressing a news conference in San Diego, the attorney and spokesperson for the parents of alleged Colorado mass murderer James Holmes, said that Arlene received a phone call at 5:45 am on Friday from an ABC News reporter who asked if she was the mother of James Holmes who lives in Aurora, Colorado.
"I did not know anything about a shooting in Aurora at that time," Arlene Holmes said in the statement.
Authorities say Holmes opened fire on a crowded movie theatre on Friday at a midnight showing of the new Batman movie. Twelve people were killed and 58 were injured. James Holmes, 24, made his first court appearance on Monday in a Denver suburb where he`s being held without bond.
Damiani declined to say whether the suspect`s parents were surprised their son was being accused of a crime or whether he had shown any signs of instability before July 20. Damiani said they would not publicly discuss details about their son.
When asked if they stood by Holmes, Damiani said, "Yes they do. He`s their son."
Holmes, who has been assigned a public defender, is expected to be formally charged next Monday. He is being held on suspicion of first-degree murder.
"Everyone`s concerned" about the possibility of the death penalty, Damiani said.
"They`re doing as well as they can under the circumstances," said Damiani of the family, adding that they have been getting "amazing" support from their church.
The parents want to reiterate what they said shortly after the shooting, that their hearts go out to the victims and their families, Damiani said.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets