Japan quake-tsunami toll tops 14,700
Tokyo: The toll in Japan`s March 11 quake and tsunami has reached 14,704, while 10,969 remain unaccounted for in six prefectures, police said.
The Japanese government has said the damage from the disaster could total USD 310 billion, RIA Novosti reported citing Kyodo news agency on Sunday.
The twin disaster also triggered a number of explosions at the Fukushima nuclear power plant, which caused several radioactive leaks.
Radioactive elements were later found in the water, air and food products in some parts of Japan.
About 120,000 people have been evacuated from the disaster zone and accommodated in temporary refugee centres across the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed