Japan wary of China military, urges closer US ties
Tokyo: Japan`s Defence Ministry stressed the
importance of US military forces in Japan and cast a wary eye
on China`s military expansion in an annual report on Friday, as
diplomatic tensions with China rose following a collision near
The annual defence policy report also said a group of
South Korean-controlled islands, called Dokdo in Korean and
Takeshima in Japanese, were an "integral" part of Japanese
territory - prompting protesters in South Korea`s capital to
try to burn a Japanese flag in a show of anger.
The report`s release comes amid a growing diplomatic
dispute between Japan and China. Beijing has warned Tokyo that
bilateral ties could be damaged over the arrest of a Chinese
fishing boat captain whose ship collided with two Japanese
patrol vessels Tuesday near disputed islands in the East China
China has increased its activity in Japanese waters to
defend its territory, protect its maritime interests and deter
Taiwanese independence, the defence report said.
Highlighting China`s increased military spending, it said
Beijing`s lack of openness in its defence policies and
military activities were "a matter of concern for the region
and the international community, including Japan, which should
require prudent analysis."
It said China has not disclosed specific information
about its weapons, procurement goals, details of major units
and its national defence budget.
China has released defence reports every two years since
1998 but has not yet achieved the level of transparency
expected for "a responsible major power in the international
society," it said.
China also is developing the technology needed for
possessing its own aircraft carrier, it said.
The report highlighted the importance of American forces
based in Japan under a security pact that marks its 50th
anniversary this year, saying they act as a deterrence that
contributes to Japan`s defence as well as regional security.
In particular, having US forces on the southern Japanese
island of Okinawa offers a strategic advantage because of its
geographic location, allowing them to respond more quickly to
emergencies in East Asia than if they were based in Hawaii,
Guam or the US mainland, it said.
However, many residents of the island of Okinawa, which
hosts three-quarters of all US military facilities in Japan,
want the bases moved off the island.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know