Japan woes add to flying times for some international travellers
Tokyo: At least three major airlines have added a stop in Seoul for flights in and out of Japan due to staffing and supply concerns brought about by the earthquake, tsunami and nuclear troubles that have hit the country.
British Airways, Air France-KLM and Lufthansa have moved crews to Seoul and are using catering services out of South Korea`s Incheon Airport, adding a stop in the country for flights through Japan, a Seoul Regional Aviation Administration official said.
Japan has been hit by fuel, food and power shortages after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, which have snarled logistics in the world`s third-largest economy.
The stopover in Seoul adds at least two hours to long-haul international flights.
Other carriers serving the Asia-Pacific region, including Qantas, have added stopovers in Hong Kong, according to industry data.
Passenger traffic to Japan has decreased since the earthquake, with several international companies placing travel restrictions on employees going to Japan due to concerns of radiation leaking from a damaged reactor.
Australia`s Qantas Airways said on Wednesday it plans to scale back some flights and cut management jobs to help offset soaring fuel prices and an estimated USD 144 million hit to its earnings from a string of natural disasters in key markets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam