Jordan`s Prince Hassan to head UN advisory board
United Nations: Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon has appointed Prince Hassan of Jordan as Chairman of his advisory board on water and sanitation, replacing King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands who resigned on April 30 when he assumed the throne.
Ban said Hassan, who was Jordan`s Crown Prince from 1965 to 1999, will help spearhead international efforts to meet U.N. Goals to improve access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation by the target date of 2015.
Ban said today that 2.5 billion people still lack access to proper sanitation and 768 million don`t have access to clean water.
The board was established in 2004 and its honorary President is Crown Prince Naruhito of Japan.
The Secretary-General commended Hassan for his leadership in championing a wide range of global causes and in supporting inter-cultural dialogue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid