Kate battles nerves to give first public speech
London: Prince William`s wife Catherine gave a steady performance in her first public speech as a royal on Monday, conquering her nerves to address children and staff at a hospice.
She looked confident though sounded a little apprehensive as she paid tribute to staff and volunteers` efforts helping children with life-threatening conditions at the Treehouse centre in Ipswich, eastern England.
The former Kate Middleton, who was wearing a royal-blue dress, confessed to one wellwisher after the address: "I find doing speeches nerve-wracking."
The 30-year-old Duchess of Cambridge appeared to have memorised the speech, glancing at her notes only occasionally.
She told a packed audience she regretted that William, the second in line to the throne, could not be with her – he is in his final week of a six-week training period as an air force helicopter pilot in the Falkland Islands.
"I am only sorry that William can`t be here today; he would love it here," she said.
"A view of his -- that I share -- is that through teamwork, so much can be achieved."
Catherine visited the charity privately last year when researching which causes she wanted to support. Today she said she was "enormously proud" to be a patron of East Anglia`s Children`s Hospices.
The speech earned a rapturous round of applause, prompting a broad smile from Catherine.
The speech was the latest in a series of solo engagements for Catherine since William went to the Falklands on a posting which has angered Argentina as the 30-year anniversary of the war over the islands approaches.
Yesterday, she carried out her first solo military engagement, presenting sprigs of shamrock to members of the 1st Battalion Irish Guards infantry on St Patrick`s Day.
Last week, she showed the skills that made her captain of her school`s field hockey team as she joined Britain`s Olympic squad in the Olympic Park in east London. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- PM Modi pays tribute to Chandra Shekhar Azad, Bal Gangadhar Tilak on birth anniversaries
- Did Indian Air Force's AN-32 plane vanish due to catastrophic accident?
- Doomed EgyptAir flight broke up midair after fire: Report
- Pokemon Go daily used twice as much as Facebook
- Virat Kohli: Five incredible records set by India captain during 200-run knock