Kenya attack: Dozens of bodies buried under Nairobi shopping mall rubble?
Zee Media Bureau
London: A Nairobi mortuary prepared on Thursday to receive ‘up to 160 new corpses’ after an intelligence source claimed that the number of bodies under the rubble could be in hundreds.
A Kenyan intelligent source told the Guardian there was evidence that the number of bodies buried under rubble of Nairobi shopping mall after the gruesome four-day terrorist siege could be in the hundreds.
The source added that at least one attacker was still engaged in conflict with security forces inside the mall, five days after the shopping centre was attacked on a busy Saturday morning.
It said that there were 200 workers in Nakumatt supermarket and 800 people shopping. The walls of Nakumatt collapsed and there are a lot of bodies inside.
According to the report, al Shabaab, the Somali-based, al-Qaeda-linked group behind the attack, claimed the government had carried out a demolition of the building, burying 137 hostages.
The Kenyan government rejected claims that any militants remained alive, or that they had demolished part of the building.
The government added that the mall`s upper–level car park had collapsed, bringing the second level down on to the ground floor on top of at least eight civilians and one or more attackers.
Government spokesman Manoah Esipisu said the number of dead, which stood at 67, already included the bodies of those buried under the rubble, and denied the figure would rise further.
Kenya`s interior minister, Joseph Ole Lenku, said the process of determining the number of dead and gathering evidence from the mall could take a further week, the report added.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened