Khamenei accuses US of "terror" attacks in Iran
Tehran: Iran`s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Wednesday he had 100 "undeniable documents" proving the United States has been behind "terrorist acts" in the Islamic state and elsewhere in the Middle East.
His comments come after Washington accused Iran of being involved in a plot to kill Saudi Arabia`s ambassador to Washington, a claim Iran has dismissed as baseless.
"We have undeniable documents which show America was behind the curtain of terror in Iran and the region," Khamenei said during a commemoration of the 1979 storming of the US embassy in Tehran by revolutionary students.
"By presenting those 100 documents, we will disgrace America in the world," he added. He did not make it clear when he would produce the documents and to whom.
Last month, the United States said it had uncovered a plot by two men with links to Iran`s Revolutionary Guards to assassinate the Saudi envoy by planting a bomb in a Washington restaurant. The Iranian government denies any involvement.
"America tried to exert pressure on Iran and rescue itself from the Wall Street movement and its problems by the absurd terrorist scenario," Khamenei said during a televised address to an audience of students.
"They want to accuse the most virtuous warriors and fighters in Iran of terrorism.
"The course of events have changed in the world and by the grace of God the fight of virtue, with the pioneering of Iran, has started against the pharaoh of hegemony and will continue to its final collapse."
US President Barack Obama hopes the foiled alleged plot will lead to tighter sanctions against Iran -- already under several rounds of UN measures over its nuclear program -- and repeated that all options are on the table to deal with the Islamic republic -- a tacit threat of possible military action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon