Kidnapped Al-Arabiya reporter walks free in Philippines
Zamboanga: A reporter with the Pan-Arab Al-Arabiya news channel has walked free from the southern Philippines jungle 18 months after he was abducted by Islamist militants, Filipino police said on Wednesday.
Bakr Atyani, a Jordanian, was found by a police patrol on the remote southern Philippine island of Jolo, more than 1,000 kilometres south of Manila, police in nearby Patikul town said.
"We found him walking along the road... He`s lost some weight," Chief Inspector Chris Gutierrez told AFP in a telephone interview from the southern port of Zamboanga.
He said the former hostage was taken to a government hospital in the provincial capital, also called Jolo, for a precautionary medical check-up.
Gutierrez said the police patrol did not see any of Atyani`s kidnappers, and there was no firefight.
Atyani and two Filipino crew members went missing in June last year in Jolo, a stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf group, a small Islamist movement that has been blamed for a string of terrorist attacks and kidnappings of foreigners.
In February the militants released the two crew members, who said they were separated from the Jordanian on the fifth day of their captivity.
The Dubai-based broadcaster Al-Arabiya, announcing the safe recovery of its reporter, said in a statement today that he was handed over to the Filipino authorities by the kidnappers.
"The Philippine authorities are now responsible for ensuring his safe return to his family in Jordan," the broadcaster said, adding that Atyani was receiving medical care at a Philippine hospital.
The Abu Sayyaf Group was founded with seed money from Osama bin Laden`s Al Qaeda network to fight for an independent Islamic state, though it later turned into a criminal gang.
US Special Forces have been rotating through Jolo and other parts of the southern Philippines for more than a decade to train local troops battling the group, which is on Washington`s list of "foreign terrorist organisations".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?