Kissinger apologises for ‘gassing Jews` remarks
Washington: Former US secretary of state Henry Kissinger has apologised for his remarks he made in 1973 during a conversation with the then US President Richard Nixon, when he had said that it would not be an American concern if the Soviet Union sent its Jews to the gas chambers.
According to The Jerusalem Post, Kissinger made the apology in a Washington Post opinion piece and said: "References to gas chambers have no place in political discourse, and I am sorry I made that remark 37 years ago."
Kissinger`s conversation with Nixon was recorded and he could be heard saying that the emigration of Jews from the Soviet Union is not an objective of American foreign policy.
“And if they put Jews into gas chambers in the Soviet Union, it is not an American concern. Maybe a humanitarian concern," he had said.
However Kissinger`s piece on Friday claimed that his comment was largely taken out of context, while emphasising that the Nixon administration had worked at helping Jewish emigration from the Soviet Union.
"For someone who lost in the Holocaust many members of my immediate family and a large proportion of those with whom I grew up, it is hurtful to see an out-of-context remark being taken so contrary to its intentions and to my convictions, which were profoundly shaped by these events," Kissinger wrote.
Referring to his conversation with Nixon, where his gas chambers remark was made, Kissinger wrote "the conversation at issue arose not as a policy statement by me but in response to a request by the President that I should appeal to Senators Javits and Jackson and explain why we thought their approach unwise."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- India does not play for rankings, says Virat Kohli
- US backs Amnesty over India sedition case, says it respects group's right to express freely
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages