Kuwait arrests man over Twitter posts: Report
Kuwait: Kuwait has arrested a Kuwaiti Shi`ite Muslim man for publishing criticism of the ruling families in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia on social media site Twitter, a security source said on Saturday.
Nasser Abul was arrested on Thursday and no charges have been pressed against him so far, the source said. He gave no details.
Democracy activists have used social media to debate, organise and share information in Bahrain where the government crushed a protest movement in March after inviting Saudi and United Arab Emirates forces to help restore order.
Bahrain questioned a rights activist in April for publishing an image which appeared to show signs of torture on a man who died in detention during the unrest. It is not clear if the case will be brought to court.
A Bahraini journalist said last month he was questioned about his Twitter postings during two hours of detention.
Gulf Arab governments, run by closely-allied ruling families, are trying to stop protest movements that brought down Egyptian and Tunisian leaders this year taking off in their patch.
They fear democracy movements could allow Shi`ite power Iran to gain influence. Bahrain has a Shi`ite majority and Kuwait and other Gulf countries have Shi`ite minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'