Kuwait arrests man over Twitter posts: Report
Kuwait: Kuwait has arrested a Kuwaiti Shi`ite Muslim man for publishing criticism of the ruling families in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia on social media site Twitter, a security source said on Saturday.
Nasser Abul was arrested on Thursday and no charges have been pressed against him so far, the source said. He gave no details.
Democracy activists have used social media to debate, organise and share information in Bahrain where the government crushed a protest movement in March after inviting Saudi and United Arab Emirates forces to help restore order.
Bahrain questioned a rights activist in April for publishing an image which appeared to show signs of torture on a man who died in detention during the unrest. It is not clear if the case will be brought to court.
A Bahraini journalist said last month he was questioned about his Twitter postings during two hours of detention.
Gulf Arab governments, run by closely-allied ruling families, are trying to stop protest movements that brought down Egyptian and Tunisian leaders this year taking off in their patch.
They fear democracy movements could allow Shi`ite power Iran to gain influence. Bahrain has a Shi`ite majority and Kuwait and other Gulf countries have Shi`ite minorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog