Kuwait frees Iraqis in plot to kill Bush: Report
Kuwait City: Kuwait has freed nine Iraqis who were jailed over a failed plot to assassinate former US president George Bush senior in 1993, Al-Anbaa newspaper reported on Thursday.
Quoting an unnamed security official, the daily said that the Kuwaiti authorities had decided to deport the men to Iraq following a visit by officials from Baghdad.
Bush, who in January 1991 led an international coalition to liberate Kuwait after seven months of Iraqi occupation, visited the Gulf emirate in April 1993 to commemorate the victory.
During the visit, Kuwaiti authorities arrested 16 people, mostly Iraqis, for allegedly plotting a car bomb attack to kill Bush. A Kuwaiti court later convicted most of them and handed them extended prison terms.
The United States fired 23 cruise missiles at the headquarters of Iraq`s intelligence services in Baghdad in 1993 following an order from Bush`s successor, Bill Clinton.
Former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein ordered his forces to invade Kuwait on August 02, 1990. They were driven out by the international coalition on February 26, 1991.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- India responds to Pakistan's offer for talks, says will discuss only cross-border terror
- CAUGHT ON CAMERA: This man doesn't give a damn to traffic rules, threatens people on Noida roads; his car has VIP horn - WATCH
- Mercedes GLE 400 4MATIC petrol variant launched in India at Rs 74.9 lakh
- Attention parents! Childhood head injury may up mental illness, mortality risk
- My mom gets worried about controversies: Sonakshi Sinha