Kyrgyzstan foils Bishkek bomb attack
Bishkek: Kyrgyzstan on Saturday said it had foiled an attempted bomb attack in Bishkek after discovering a jeep packed with explosives parked outside the capital`s police headquarters.
The AKIpress news agency quoted the security service press office as saying that the homemade explosives of 7-10 kilogrammes of TNT equivalent were found in a Landrover Discovery vehicle.
It said that investigators were working on the assumption that the car was the same vehicle reported to have been stolen from a US citizen by a group of armed bandits on Friday night.
The American also had 100,000 soms (USD 2,000) stolen from him and the criminals later vanished.
News reports said that sappers from the Kyrgyz security service (GKNB) had successfully defused the explosives, made up of components including a gas balloon, explosive powder and electric wires linked up to a mobile phone.
The Central Asian state has been wracked by unrest in 2010 which saw the ousting of ex-president Kurmanbek Bakiyev in a bloody uprising and ethnic rioting in the south that left hundreds dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees