Lawsuit filed seeking info about US drone attacks
Washington: An eminent civil liberties
union has filed a lawsuit seeking information about the highly secretive US drone attacks, especially in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
"The public has a right to know whether the targeted
killings being carried out in its name are consistent with
international law and with the country`s interests and
values," said Jonathan Manes, a legal fellow with the American
Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) National Security Project.
"The Obama administration should disclose basic
information about the program, including its legal basis and
limits, and the civilian casualty toll thus far," he said in a
The lawsuit asks for information on when, where and
against whom drone strikes can be authorised, the number and
rate of civilian casualties and other basic information
essential for assessing the wisdom and legality of using armed
drones to conduct targeted killings.
The CIA and the military have used unmanned drones to
target and kill individuals not only in Afghanistan and Iraq
but also in Pakistan and, in at least one case in 2002, Yemen.
"None of the three agencies have provided any
documents in response to the request, nor have they given any
reason for withholding documents. The CIA answered the ACLU`s
request by refusing to confirm or deny the existence of any
"The CIA is not a defendant in today`s lawsuit because
the ACLU will first appeal the CIA`s non-response to the
Agency Release Panel," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway