Libya rebels reject transition under Gaddafi’s sons
Benghazi: The Libyan rebels` Transitional National Council on Monday rejected any transition under Muammar Gaddafi`s sons after The New York Times reported that two of them had proposed that.
"This is completely rejected by the council," its spokesman Shamseddin Abdulmelah said in the rebels` stronghold in the eastern city of Benghazi.
"Gaddafi and his sons have to leave before any diplomatic negotiations can take place."
At least two of Gaddafi`s sons are proposing a transition to a constitutional democracy that would include their father`s removal from power, the Times reported late Sunday.
Citing an unnamed diplomat and a Libyan official briefed on the plan, the newspaper said the transition would be spearheaded by one of Gaddafi`s sons, Seif al-Islam.
The rebel spokesman said the regime had lost any right to talk of a negotiated exit after it had continued to pound the besieged third city of Misrata even as it sent Deputy Foreign Minister Abdelati Laabidi to Athens to discuss a way out of the conflict.
"How can you negotiate at the point of a gun?" he asked.
Abdulmelah said that Seif al-Islam had shown through his conduct since the uprising began on February 15 that his reputation as someone who wanted to change the regime from within was completely baseless.
"People thought he was a reformer but since the revolution began, he has shown his true colours. He is a carbon copy of his father."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’