Libya rebels reject transition under Gaddafi’s sons
Benghazi: The Libyan rebels` Transitional National Council on Monday rejected any transition under Muammar Gaddafi`s sons after The New York Times reported that two of them had proposed that.
"This is completely rejected by the council," its spokesman Shamseddin Abdulmelah said in the rebels` stronghold in the eastern city of Benghazi.
"Gaddafi and his sons have to leave before any diplomatic negotiations can take place."
At least two of Gaddafi`s sons are proposing a transition to a constitutional democracy that would include their father`s removal from power, the Times reported late Sunday.
Citing an unnamed diplomat and a Libyan official briefed on the plan, the newspaper said the transition would be spearheaded by one of Gaddafi`s sons, Seif al-Islam.
The rebel spokesman said the regime had lost any right to talk of a negotiated exit after it had continued to pound the besieged third city of Misrata even as it sent Deputy Foreign Minister Abdelati Laabidi to Athens to discuss a way out of the conflict.
"How can you negotiate at the point of a gun?" he asked.
Abdulmelah said that Seif al-Islam had shown through his conduct since the uprising began on February 15 that his reputation as someone who wanted to change the regime from within was completely baseless.
"People thought he was a reformer but since the revolution began, he has shown his true colours. He is a carbon copy of his father."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Priyanka, Aziz making tectonic shifts in business: Poorna Jagannathan
- On Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu's feats: Hats off to women for saving our respect in front of whole world, says Pullela Gopichand
- WATCH: Usain Bolt attempted javelin throw at Rio 2016 - His effort will shock you!
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone