Long-term relationship with India is priority: US
Washington: US President Barack Obama has directed all wings of the government to seek long-term relationship with India, a top US commander said on Thursday.
"I have been directed by the President to seek a -- as all of the parts of our government have -- long-term security relationship, a partnership with India," PACOM Commander, Admiral Sameul J Locklear III, said.
"And that covers a lot of different areas; but in the military area, we look for opportunities to inter-operate with each other," he said.
"We are headed in that direction," Locklear told Pentagon reporters at a news conference in response to a question on relationship with India.
Locklear was recently in India on his maiden visit after taking over the command of the US Pacific Command.
"We very much support India military, India taking a leadership in the security issues in and around the Indian Ocean. And we are looking for opportunities to participate and interoperate with them where we can," Locklear said.
Referring to the dynamics significance of the Indo-Pacific region, he said, this includes all the major economies; seven of the 10 largest armies are in that region.
"You can put all the continents in the world in the Pacific Ocean; you can put them all in the Pacific Ocean and still have room for another Africa, another Canada, another United States and another Mexico. And that`s just in the Pacific," he said.
"The Indian Ocean is vast as well. So you have this really large, very dynamic -- you can`t even call it a region; it`s half the world -- where you have historical ties between countries -- bilateral, multilateral -- and you have this -- there is no one security organization that`s able to deal with things such as a NATO."
"And I don`t think you`ll ever get to that because it`s such a vast and diverse region," he said.
"So we have to rely on and have to support these multilateral organizations that allow us to capitalize on where we have like interests, and to not be afraid to allow other countries to lead in those areas," Locklear said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi