Luxembourg PM proposes snap election over spy scandal
Brussels: Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker has said he will suggest a snap election following a spying scandal.
The 58-year-old leader was under pressure to quit since a probe showed that he failed to inform Parliament and had limited control over the country`s security agency`s illegal bugging of politicians.
The security agency was also accused of purchasing cars for private use and of taking payments and favours in exchange for access to local officials, Xinhua quoted media reports as saying.
Juncker denied responsibility for something he "did not know".
Juncker has served as the country`s Prime Minister since 1995 and is the European Union`s longest serving premier.
It remains unclear whether Juncker would run for the next election, which is expected to be held in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?