Luxembourg PM proposes snap election over spy scandal
Brussels: Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker has said he will suggest a snap election following a spying scandal.
The 58-year-old leader was under pressure to quit since a probe showed that he failed to inform Parliament and had limited control over the country`s security agency`s illegal bugging of politicians.
The security agency was also accused of purchasing cars for private use and of taking payments and favours in exchange for access to local officials, Xinhua quoted media reports as saying.
Juncker denied responsibility for something he "did not know".
Juncker has served as the country`s Prime Minister since 1995 and is the European Union`s longest serving premier.
It remains unclear whether Juncker would run for the next election, which is expected to be held in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Dino Morea, Ranbir Kapoor flaunt football skills! - See pics
- BJP to go it alone in UP Assembly polls, Ram temple not to be on poll agenda: Mahesh Sharma
- Thousands flee IS offensive in northern Syria: Monitor
- Flipkart effect: Startups may lose sheen in job market
- 'USD 100 for shaving beard: ISIS imposes new fines, taxes'