`Man accused of child pornography linked to US bomb plotter`
New York: US authorities said a man accused of child pornography was connected to a Bangladeshi who planned to set off a bomb at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, a media report said.
According to a New York Times report, Howard Willie Carter II was suspected of being an accomplice of Quazi Mohammad Rezwanul Ahsan Nafis, who was arrested in New York Wednesday, Xinhua reported.
The US Justice Department said in a statement that Nafis faces charges of planning to use a weapon of mass destruction and trying to provide material support to al Qaeda.
The 21-year-old suspect could face life sentence if convicted.
The FBI said the 450-kg bomb Nafis prepared for the attack was not in working condition, adding that an undercover agent had been closely monitoring the suspect.
Also according to the newspaper, Carter was arrested in the US city of San Diego after the FBI found 1,000 pictures of child pornography on a computer that was traced back to him in August.
The FBI also found on the computer`s hard drive emails addressed to "Yaqeen", a name Carter used to communicate with Nafis.
In conversations with undercover officials, Nafis also said he once suggested attacking a military base near Baltimore, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?