Man in Australian $1 mn suitcase mystery charged
Sydney: A man questioned by Australian police about an abandoned suitcase stuffed with nearly AUD 1 million (USD 970,000) has been charged with assault and dealing in the proceeds of the crime.
New South Wales police announced the charges on Friday, but they haven`t said where they think the money came from.
Workers at a Sydney eatery say the suitcase was left there on Tuesday by a nervous-looking man, and they were initially worried it might contain a bomb.
In a release, police said they found the 49-year-old suspect in a dazed state later Tuesday. When he was taken to the station, police allege he assaulted three officers, causing them minor injuries. The man was then treated at a local hospital.
The man was denied bail and is due in court on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh break-up? Here's what the 'Padmavati' star has to say!