Man in Australian $1 mn suitcase mystery charged
Sydney: A man questioned by Australian police about an abandoned suitcase stuffed with nearly AUD 1 million (USD 970,000) has been charged with assault and dealing in the proceeds of the crime.
New South Wales police announced the charges on Friday, but they haven`t said where they think the money came from.
Workers at a Sydney eatery say the suitcase was left there on Tuesday by a nervous-looking man, and they were initially worried it might contain a bomb.
In a release, police said they found the 49-year-old suspect in a dazed state later Tuesday. When he was taken to the station, police allege he assaulted three officers, causing them minor injuries. The man was then treated at a local hospital.
The man was denied bail and is due in court on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets