Man in Australian $1 mn suitcase mystery charged
Sydney: A man questioned by Australian police about an abandoned suitcase stuffed with nearly AUD 1 million (USD 970,000) has been charged with assault and dealing in the proceeds of the crime.
New South Wales police announced the charges on Friday, but they haven`t said where they think the money came from.
Workers at a Sydney eatery say the suitcase was left there on Tuesday by a nervous-looking man, and they were initially worried it might contain a bomb.
In a release, police said they found the 49-year-old suspect in a dazed state later Tuesday. When he was taken to the station, police allege he assaulted three officers, causing them minor injuries. The man was then treated at a local hospital.
The man was denied bail and is due in court on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report