Man scales Vatican scaffolding in message to pope
Vatican City: A man has scaled the scaffolding around St. Peter`s Square and draped a banner calling on Pope Benedict XVI to "Stop Terrorism."
The man identified himself on the banner as Julian Jungarean, a Romanian who has previously scaled the colonnade around the piazza. Witnesses say uniformed officers were speaking with him from the ground and a nearby roof.
Benedict celebrated New Year`s Day Mass earlier today in St. Peter`s Basilica and said he was convinced that peace will prevail in 2013 despite the inequality, terrorism and "unregulated financial capitalism" that afflict the world today.
He later appeared at his studio window overlooking the piazza to wish thousands of people below a Happy New Year. Jungarean`s protest didn`t appear to cause the pope any disturbance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!