Man scales Vatican scaffolding in message to pope
Vatican City: A man has scaled the scaffolding around St. Peter`s Square and draped a banner calling on Pope Benedict XVI to "Stop Terrorism."
The man identified himself on the banner as Julian Jungarean, a Romanian who has previously scaled the colonnade around the piazza. Witnesses say uniformed officers were speaking with him from the ground and a nearby roof.
Benedict celebrated New Year`s Day Mass earlier today in St. Peter`s Basilica and said he was convinced that peace will prevail in 2013 despite the inequality, terrorism and "unregulated financial capitalism" that afflict the world today.
He later appeared at his studio window overlooking the piazza to wish thousands of people below a Happy New Year. Jungarean`s protest didn`t appear to cause the pope any disturbance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?