Man scales Vatican scaffolding in message to pope
Vatican City: A man has scaled the scaffolding around St. Peter`s Square and draped a banner calling on Pope Benedict XVI to "Stop Terrorism."
The man identified himself on the banner as Julian Jungarean, a Romanian who has previously scaled the colonnade around the piazza. Witnesses say uniformed officers were speaking with him from the ground and a nearby roof.
Benedict celebrated New Year`s Day Mass earlier today in St. Peter`s Basilica and said he was convinced that peace will prevail in 2013 despite the inequality, terrorism and "unregulated financial capitalism" that afflict the world today.
He later appeared at his studio window overlooking the piazza to wish thousands of people below a Happy New Year. Jungarean`s protest didn`t appear to cause the pope any disturbance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'