Man scales Vatican scaffolding in message to pope
Vatican City: A man has scaled the scaffolding around St. Peter`s Square and draped a banner calling on Pope Benedict XVI to "Stop Terrorism."
The man identified himself on the banner as Julian Jungarean, a Romanian who has previously scaled the colonnade around the piazza. Witnesses say uniformed officers were speaking with him from the ground and a nearby roof.
Benedict celebrated New Year`s Day Mass earlier today in St. Peter`s Basilica and said he was convinced that peace will prevail in 2013 despite the inequality, terrorism and "unregulated financial capitalism" that afflict the world today.
He later appeared at his studio window overlooking the piazza to wish thousands of people below a Happy New Year. Jungarean`s protest didn`t appear to cause the pope any disturbance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi