Marathon suspect`s in-laws testify at grand jury
Boston: The in-laws of slain Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev testified before a federal grand jury investigating the deadly April 15 attack.
Judith and Warren Russell, parents of Katherine Russell, declined to comment to The Associated Press yesterday as they entered the grand jury room in US District Court in Boston.
Katherine Russell is the widow of Tsarnaev, who was killed in a gunbattle with authorities pursing him and his brother for allegedly setting off two bombs near the race`s finish line, killing three people and wounding more than 260.
The US Attorney`s office would not comment on whether Russell or anyone else is being investigated or why a grand jury continues to meet after four people have already been indicted.
Josh Dratel, a lawyer who represents Katherine Russell and her family, said her parents appeared after being subpoenaed to testify, and said they "told the truth."
Dratel said he has been told by prosecutors that Katherine Russell is not a target of the investigation.
Tamerlan`s brother, Dzhokhar, was indicted on 30 counts in June and faces the possibility of the death penalty. Three of his friends were also indicted for allegedly lying to investigators or trying to cover up his role after the bombings.
Amato DeLuca, an attorney for Katherine Russell and her family, has said she didn`t suspect her husband of anything before the bombings, and nothing seemed amiss in the days after. DeLuca said that her parents also knew nothing about their son-in-law`s alleged involvement until after he was publicly identified by authorities.
There are many unanswered questions about what Russell knew or did before and after the bombings. The couple lived in the Tsarnaev family`s cramped Cambridge apartment, where federal authorities have said the brothers assembled the bombs. Russell has never spoken publicly, although DeLuca has said she was working 70 to 80 hours per week as a home health aide and had no reason to suspect her husband of anything. Dratel said the grand jury`s investigation "is not necessarily an investigation of Katherine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27