Marathon suspect`s in-laws testify at grand jury
Boston: The in-laws of slain Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev testified before a federal grand jury investigating the deadly April 15 attack.
Judith and Warren Russell, parents of Katherine Russell, declined to comment to The Associated Press yesterday as they entered the grand jury room in US District Court in Boston.
Katherine Russell is the widow of Tsarnaev, who was killed in a gunbattle with authorities pursing him and his brother for allegedly setting off two bombs near the race`s finish line, killing three people and wounding more than 260.
The US Attorney`s office would not comment on whether Russell or anyone else is being investigated or why a grand jury continues to meet after four people have already been indicted.
Josh Dratel, a lawyer who represents Katherine Russell and her family, said her parents appeared after being subpoenaed to testify, and said they "told the truth."
Dratel said he has been told by prosecutors that Katherine Russell is not a target of the investigation.
Tamerlan`s brother, Dzhokhar, was indicted on 30 counts in June and faces the possibility of the death penalty. Three of his friends were also indicted for allegedly lying to investigators or trying to cover up his role after the bombings.
Amato DeLuca, an attorney for Katherine Russell and her family, has said she didn`t suspect her husband of anything before the bombings, and nothing seemed amiss in the days after. DeLuca said that her parents also knew nothing about their son-in-law`s alleged involvement until after he was publicly identified by authorities.
There are many unanswered questions about what Russell knew or did before and after the bombings. The couple lived in the Tsarnaev family`s cramped Cambridge apartment, where federal authorities have said the brothers assembled the bombs. Russell has never spoken publicly, although DeLuca has said she was working 70 to 80 hours per week as a home health aide and had no reason to suspect her husband of anything. Dratel said the grand jury`s investigation "is not necessarily an investigation of Katherine."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?