Mass burial for fire tragedy victims in Nigeria
Abuja: A day after nearly 200 people were killed in one of Nigeria`s worst fire tragedies, a mass burial was held close to the site of the horrific accident.
The burial was held near the site where people had rushed to collect petrol that had spilled from a tanker after it skidded off the road, crashed into vehicles and overturned in Nigeria`s southern state of Rivers.
A spark led to a fire that engulfed the area, killing scores of villagers and injuring many others.
Those buried were burnt beyond recognition.
Security agencies struggled to arrive at a final toll figure even though most of them put it at above 100.
But the Rivers State Commissioner for health, Dr Sampson Parker had said yesterday he counted 200 bodies at the Ahoada General hospital and the scene of the accident.
Residents of Ahoada/Mbiama who had gone to scoop fuel from the tanker were engulfed by a sudden inferno which started as apparently as a result of the use of mobile phones.
Scores of villagers went to the General Hospital, Ahoada where most of the injured persons that numbered more than 50 were taken for treatment to see if their relatives were among the survivors.
Doctors and others medical workers struggled to attend to the accident victims while some were taken to a more equipped hospital in Port Harcourt the capital of Rivers State.
Within the village of Ahoada, those who could not see their members before dusk yesterday became very distraught fearing that they might have been among the dead victims.
President Goodluck Jonathan ordered federal relief agencies to do everything possible to ensure that the injured were given prompt and effective medical attention.
Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) commander for Rivers State Kayode Olagunju had said that three other vehicles and the tanker were involved in a road accident yesterday at Ahoada West Local Government Area of Rivers state.
"Rescue workers from the police, road safety, fire service, civil defence and NEMA were at the scene to evacuate victims and control traffic," he added.
Nigeria is Africa`s largest oil producer but most citizens live in abject poverty.
Hundreds of people have died in similar incidents, involving leaking oil pipelines or those deliberately punctured by oil thieves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title