More than 100 feared dead in Congo boat accident
Kinshasa: Authorities in northwestern Congo say more than 100 people are feared dead after two boats collided on a river.
Equateur province spokeswoman Rebecca Ebale Nguma says at least 220 people were aboard the boat on the Tshuapa River when it hit another vessel.
About 105 people made it to shore but the others remained missing late Thursday.
Congo is a vast country of jungles and huge rivers in Central Africa with few paved roads. Many people prefer to take boats and barges not intended for people even if they do not know how to swim.
The boats are often in poor repair and filled beyond capacity, and the industry is not well-regulated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider