More than 100 feared dead in Congo boat accident
Kinshasa: Authorities in northwestern Congo say more than 100 people are feared dead after two boats collided on a river.
Equateur province spokeswoman Rebecca Ebale Nguma says at least 220 people were aboard the boat on the Tshuapa River when it hit another vessel.
About 105 people made it to shore but the others remained missing late Thursday.
Congo is a vast country of jungles and huge rivers in Central Africa with few paved roads. Many people prefer to take boats and barges not intended for people even if they do not know how to swim.
The boats are often in poor repair and filled beyond capacity, and the industry is not well-regulated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical