More than 100 feared dead in Congo boat accident
Kinshasa: Authorities in northwestern Congo say more than 100 people are feared dead after two boats collided on a river.
Equateur province spokeswoman Rebecca Ebale Nguma says at least 220 people were aboard the boat on the Tshuapa River when it hit another vessel.
About 105 people made it to shore but the others remained missing late Thursday.
Congo is a vast country of jungles and huge rivers in Central Africa with few paved roads. Many people prefer to take boats and barges not intended for people even if they do not know how to swim.
The boats are often in poor repair and filled beyond capacity, and the industry is not well-regulated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Rio Olympics: Graem McDowell turns down the chance to take Rory McIlroy`s spot
- China, Russia bilateral relation has reached unprecedented level: Putin
- Anil Kumble: It's a great honour to be back in Indian dressing room in different role
- India vs Zimbabwe PHOTO: When MS Dhoni shared red-eye selfie on Facebook
- M.M. Khan murder: Manish Sisodia accuses hotelier of working under political patronage