More than 100 feared dead in Congo boat accident
Kinshasa: Authorities in northwestern Congo say more than 100 people are feared dead after two boats collided on a river.
Equateur province spokeswoman Rebecca Ebale Nguma says at least 220 people were aboard the boat on the Tshuapa River when it hit another vessel.
About 105 people made it to shore but the others remained missing late Thursday.
Congo is a vast country of jungles and huge rivers in Central Africa with few paved roads. Many people prefer to take boats and barges not intended for people even if they do not know how to swim.
The boats are often in poor repair and filled beyond capacity, and the industry is not well-regulated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof