Most Iranians favour ties with US but distrust Obama: Poll
Washington: Most Iranians favour restored ties with Washington after three decades of hostility but distrust President Barack Obama despite his outreach to Muslims worldwide, a poll has found.
Eight in 10 Iranians also say they consider President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to be the country`s legitimate President despite mass protests following the disputed June 12 vote, according to the survey by WorldPublicOpinion.org (WPO).
Sixty-three percent of the 1,003 people surveyed across Iran favoured restoring diplomatic relations with the US, a position at odds with the stance taken by Tehran since the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
Of those in favour of restoring ties, 18 percent said they would "strongly" back the move. Only 27 percent said they were opposed.
Another 60 percent of Iranians surveyed said they supported "full, unconditional negotiations" between Washington and Tehran, while 30 percent were opposed.
But despite Obama`s outreach to Muslims around the world, only 25 percent of those surveyed believe he respects Islam, while 59 percent said he does not.
Seventy-one percent said they have little or no confidence that Obama will do "the right thing" in his handling of world affairs.
The telephone survey was conducted by native Farsi speakers who interviewed respondents from outside Iran between August 27 and September 10. It has a margin of error of 3.1 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof