Mubarak era is over: Albright
Washington: As anti-government protest
entered its 13th day in Egypt, former US Secretary of State,
Madeline Albright on Sunday said that the "Mubarak era" is over.
"My own personal opinion, is the Mubarak era is over. The
question is how to have a process that really works properly,
that allows these various voices to come together and not
disagree on some of the tactical aspects," Albright told the
CNN in an interview.
Given the political turmoil in Egypt, she felt Israel has
every reason to be anxious.
"They have known forever that they live in a very
dangerous neighbourhood and they clearly are concerned. I
think that Egypt has played a key role in terms of a peace
And they have reason to be anxious," she said.
"I think we all care about the security of Israel, and my
own feeling is that it`s very hard for Egypt to play the
important role that it has to if it is not moving into this
transitional phase and developing a democratic system that
allows it to be a stable country," Albright said.
"So I can see why Israel is anxious, but I think Israel
has to deal with its neighbourhood, why I have believed in the
two-state solution, and I hope that the peace talks go
forward," she said.
Albright, who now chairs the National Democratic
Institute, said the US wants to have a process that provides a
"It does have to be a rapid process, it has to be
democratic, it has to be inclusive, and I think that we`re
very clear that there has to be a transition process that
represents the will of the Egyptian people," she said.
At the same time, Crowley noted that the United States
cannot micromanage the process in Egypt.
"What we have to do, however, is make clear that the
process itself is important and arriving at a democratic
solution is important which is, in fact, inclusive democratic,
peaceful, and rapid.
And I think that the administration has been walking a
very delicate line quite well. It`s difficult," she observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon