Mubarak era is over: Albright
Washington: As anti-government protest
entered its 13th day in Egypt, former US Secretary of State,
Madeline Albright on Sunday said that the "Mubarak era" is over.
"My own personal opinion, is the Mubarak era is over. The
question is how to have a process that really works properly,
that allows these various voices to come together and not
disagree on some of the tactical aspects," Albright told the
CNN in an interview.
Given the political turmoil in Egypt, she felt Israel has
every reason to be anxious.
"They have known forever that they live in a very
dangerous neighbourhood and they clearly are concerned. I
think that Egypt has played a key role in terms of a peace
And they have reason to be anxious," she said.
"I think we all care about the security of Israel, and my
own feeling is that it`s very hard for Egypt to play the
important role that it has to if it is not moving into this
transitional phase and developing a democratic system that
allows it to be a stable country," Albright said.
"So I can see why Israel is anxious, but I think Israel
has to deal with its neighbourhood, why I have believed in the
two-state solution, and I hope that the peace talks go
forward," she said.
Albright, who now chairs the National Democratic
Institute, said the US wants to have a process that provides a
"It does have to be a rapid process, it has to be
democratic, it has to be inclusive, and I think that we`re
very clear that there has to be a transition process that
represents the will of the Egyptian people," she said.
At the same time, Crowley noted that the United States
cannot micromanage the process in Egypt.
"What we have to do, however, is make clear that the
process itself is important and arriving at a democratic
solution is important which is, in fact, inclusive democratic,
peaceful, and rapid.
And I think that the administration has been walking a
very delicate line quite well. It`s difficult," she observed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow