Myanmar Prez meets leaders of 14 political parties
Yangon: Myanmar President U Thein Sein had a rare meeting Saturday with leaders of the country`s 14 political parties in the capital Nay Pyi Taw, Xinhua reported.
According to the ministry of information, Thein Sein had discussions with the leaders on politics, economy and domestic peace as well as regional development.
Union Election Commission chairman U Tin Aye, Minister of Industry U Soe Thein and Minister of Rail Transportation U Aung Min briefed the leaders on the government`s work.
The Shan National League for Democracy, National Unity Party, New National Democracy Party, Myanmar New Society Democratic Party, National Congress Party, Rakhine League for Democracy, Mon Democracy Party, Chin Progressive Party and Kayin People`s Party were among the parties invited for the meeting.
The report, however, did not mention whether the National League for Democracy, the party of Nobel laureate and pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, was invited for the discussions.
Ever since U Thein Sein`s civilian government assumed office in March 2011, the government has been carrying out major reforms both politically and economically.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?