Myanmar Prez meets leaders of 14 political parties
Yangon: Myanmar President U Thein Sein had a rare meeting Saturday with leaders of the country`s 14 political parties in the capital Nay Pyi Taw, Xinhua reported.
According to the ministry of information, Thein Sein had discussions with the leaders on politics, economy and domestic peace as well as regional development.
Union Election Commission chairman U Tin Aye, Minister of Industry U Soe Thein and Minister of Rail Transportation U Aung Min briefed the leaders on the government`s work.
The Shan National League for Democracy, National Unity Party, New National Democracy Party, Myanmar New Society Democratic Party, National Congress Party, Rakhine League for Democracy, Mon Democracy Party, Chin Progressive Party and Kayin People`s Party were among the parties invited for the meeting.
The report, however, did not mention whether the National League for Democracy, the party of Nobel laureate and pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, was invited for the discussions.
Ever since U Thein Sein`s civilian government assumed office in March 2011, the government has been carrying out major reforms both politically and economically.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital