Myanmar Prez meets leaders of 14 political parties
Yangon: Myanmar President U Thein Sein had a rare meeting Saturday with leaders of the country`s 14 political parties in the capital Nay Pyi Taw, Xinhua reported.
According to the ministry of information, Thein Sein had discussions with the leaders on politics, economy and domestic peace as well as regional development.
Union Election Commission chairman U Tin Aye, Minister of Industry U Soe Thein and Minister of Rail Transportation U Aung Min briefed the leaders on the government`s work.
The Shan National League for Democracy, National Unity Party, New National Democracy Party, Myanmar New Society Democratic Party, National Congress Party, Rakhine League for Democracy, Mon Democracy Party, Chin Progressive Party and Kayin People`s Party were among the parties invited for the meeting.
The report, however, did not mention whether the National League for Democracy, the party of Nobel laureate and pro-democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, was invited for the discussions.
Ever since U Thein Sein`s civilian government assumed office in March 2011, the government has been carrying out major reforms both politically and economically.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Mumbai school refuses admission to boy, judge offers to pay fees
- Jitu Rai pips three-time Olympic champion Jongoh Jin to clinch the silver medal
- Vijayan keeping media away, says Congress
- Incessant rains lash Mumbai; heavy spells predicted in 48 hours
- Over one million sign UK petition for second EU vote