N Ireland police attacked by Catholic rioters
London: Northern Ireland police say they have come under attack from Irish Catholic rioters in the British territory`s second-largest city of Londonderry.
The violence on Saturday night follows a peaceful parade through the medieval walled centre of Londonderry hours earlier by a Protestant brotherhood called the Apprentice Boys of Derry. Their annual march commemorates a 17th-century military victory over Irish Catholic forces. It traditionally stirs Irish republican extremists in the city to riot.
Police say Catholic gangs have hurled dozens of Molotov cocktails and at least one homemade grenade at police lines, but have injured nobody seriously. The rioters have torched at least one car and hijacked a van. Police have seized nine Molotov cocktails and arrested one suspected rioter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM