N Ireland police attacked by Catholic rioters
London: Northern Ireland police say they have come under attack from Irish Catholic rioters in the British territory`s second-largest city of Londonderry.
The violence on Saturday night follows a peaceful parade through the medieval walled centre of Londonderry hours earlier by a Protestant brotherhood called the Apprentice Boys of Derry. Their annual march commemorates a 17th-century military victory over Irish Catholic forces. It traditionally stirs Irish republican extremists in the city to riot.
Police say Catholic gangs have hurled dozens of Molotov cocktails and at least one homemade grenade at police lines, but have injured nobody seriously. The rioters have torched at least one car and hijacked a van. Police have seized nine Molotov cocktails and arrested one suspected rioter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie