N Korea could conduct third nuclear test: Seoul
Seoul: North Korea could conduct a third
nuclear test or missile launch before next year`s US and South Korean presidential elections if nuclear disarmament talks
fail, a senior Seoul official said Friday.
"I think that North Korea could test-launch a long-range missile or conduct a third nuclear test if de-nuclearisation talks with South Korea and the US fail," said Kim Tae-Hyo, presidential secretary for national security strategy.
"North Korea could take provocative acts if it judges it
won`t be able to extract economic aid from South Korea and the
US ahead of next year`s presidential elections in both
countries," Kim told a security forum.
Chun Yung-Woo, senior presidential security secretary,
told the same forum the North must shut down its newly
disclosed uranium enrichment programme before the six-nation
disarmament talks can be restarted.
"In order for the six-party talks to resume, North Korea
must show sincerity and take the required pre-steps, including
a monitored shutdown of its uranium enrichment programme,"
Yonhap news agency quoted him as saying.
"North Korea claims that the six-party talks should be
resumed without preconditions but it does not want to tackle
the core issue -- nuclear weapons," Chun said.
The North abandoned the six-party forum in April 2009 and
staged its second nuclear test a month later. It now calls for
an unconditional resumption of negotiations.
The United States and South Korea say the North must
first show it is serious about the process, notably by
shutting down the uranium programme which could be
reconfigured to make bombs.
"As a matter of principle, we have no intention of
rewarding North Korea for its illegal nuclear weapons," Chun
Last month, the nuclear envoys of South and North Korea
held a second meeting in as many months to try to lay the
groundwork for the resumption of the six-party talks. No
significant progress was, however, reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in