Nelson Mandela makes `dramatic` progress, says daughter
Johannesburg: Nelson Mandela has made "dramatic progress," and may be going home "anytime soon," said his daughter Zindzi on the eve of his 95th birthday.
"I visited him yesterday and he was watching television with headphones," said Zindzi Mandela in an interview with Britain`s Sky TV. "He gave us a huge smile and raised his hand ... He responds with his eyes and his hands."
Mandela is gaining "energy and strength," said his daughter. "I should think he will be going home anytime soon."
The latest description by Zindzi, who is one of Mandela`s daughters by his second wife, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, is a significant improvement from court documents filed by the family earlier this month which said he was on life support and near death.
Mandela has been in a Pretoria hospital since June 8 and officials say his condition is critical but stable.
The news of the improvement in Mandela`s health will boost his supporters in South Africa and around the world who are preparing to celebrate his 95th birthday on Thursday, a day declared by the United Nations as a way to recognise the Nobel Prize winner`s contribution to reconciliation.
Interest in Nelson Mandela International Day has ignited as a result of the former South African president`s hospitalisation in Pretoria and people find ways to honour his ideals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP