Nelson Mandela returns home, condition remains critical: Presidency

Last Updated: Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 16:01

Johannesburg: Anti-apartheid icon and former South African President Nelson Mandela was on Sunday discharged from a hospital and returned home where he will continue to receive intensive care, the presidency said.

"Former President Nelson Mandela has this morning, 1 September 2013, been discharged from the Pretoria hospital where he has been receiving treatment. We would like to wish him all the best as he continues his recovery at his Johannesburg home," President Jacob Zuma said in a statement.

The announcement came a day after officials denied reports that the 95-year-old had already been discharged.

"Madiba`s (Mandela`s clan name) condition remains critical and is at times unstable. Nevertheless, his team of doctors are convinced that he will receive the same level of intensive care at his Houghton home that he received in Pretoria," the statement said.

The former democracy hero was hospitalised on June 8 for lung infection and has since been there.

"His home has been reconfigured to allow him to receive intensive care there. The health care personnel providing care at his home are the very same who provided care to him in hospital. If there are health conditions that warrant another admission to hospital in future, this will be done," the statement said.

"During his stay in hospital, the condition of our former President vacillated between serious to critical and at times unstable. He has received full medical support and continues to do so," it said.

"We now call on all to allow the former President and his family the necessary private space so that his continuing care can proceed with dignity and without unnecessary intrusion," the statement added.
PTI



First Published: Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 15:50

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus