Nelson Mandela`s statue to be erected at Presidency
Johannesburg: A statue of anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela, who passed away last week at his residence at the age of 95, will be erected at the Presidency coming Monday, the South African government announced Thursday.
President Jacob Zuma will unveil the country`s former president`s statue at the Presidency (Union Buildings) Monday, Xinhua reported citing the Department of Arts and Culture in a statement. The bronze statue is nine-metre high.
"The installation of the statue at the Union Buildings is part of the department`s ongoing work to develop new symbols and monuments that reflect our collective aspirations as South Africans and the new values we stand for."
"The unveiling of the statue is intended as acknowledgement of the contribution of the first president of a democratic South Africa, a symbol of national reconciliation and unity," it added.
The department hopes that it may become a site of pilgrimage for domestic and international visitors.
Monday is the Day of Reconciliation in South Africa, which is held annually December 16 since the democracy was established in 1994, aimed at fostering the national unity.
Mandela`s body has been lying in state at the Presidency building since last Wednesday before being eventually buried at his home village of Qunu in the southern province of the Eastern Cape Sunday.
He was sworn in as the first democratically-elected president in May in 1994, succeeded by F. W. de Klerk in June in 1999.
On Tuesday the national memorial service for Mandela was held at the South African largest stadium of FNB Stadium here, attended by the officials of South Africa and 90 more countries as well as the international organisations like the United Nations, and the African Union.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know