New talks in Nov on Western Sahara dispute: UN envoy
Algiers: Morocco and the Polisario Front will hold a fresh round of talks on the future of Western Sahara in early November, the UN special envoy for Western Sahara said.
Polisario had indicated it was available to take part in the talks scheduled for the beginning of next month, the Sahrawi news agency SPS reported, Christopher Ross said during a tour of the region.
Ross was talking to journalists before leaving the Algerian capital for Nouakchott in Mauritania.
Talks he had on Wednesday with Polisario chief Mohamed Abdelaziz in Sahrawi refugee camps in Tindouf, southwest Algeria, had covered "the need to lessen tensions and avoid any incident that could worsen the situation or hamper discussions”, he said.
Earlier, Algeria`s APS news agency reported Ross as saying he hoped for advances in a settlement to the conflict over the region. Morocco annexed Western Sahara in 1975.
His talks with Abdelaziz had enabled them to look at ways to calm tensions and avoid complications to the negotiations, he said.
It was his fourth trip to the region since becoming special envoy in January 2009.
The Polisario Front, supported by Algeria, wants a referendum on self-determination, with independence as one of the options.
Morocco has pledged to grant the territory widespread autonomy but rules out independence.
Ross has already met Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika on his trip. He is due next in Mauritania and Morocco.
The last informal meeting between Morocco and the Polisario Front took place in February near New York, but broke up without progress after two days.
A UN-sponsored ceasefire has held in the Western Sahara, which lies south of Morocco on the Atlantic seaboard, since 1991.
Morocco controls the bulk of the territory and Polisario runs the rest, with bases and refugee camps around Tindouf in neighbouring Algeria.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India