Nigeria president falls ill in London: Spokesman
Abuja: Nigeria`s President Goodluck Jonathan received unplanned medical treatment in London on Thursday after he "became indisposed" and was forced to miss a scheduled meeting, his spokesman said.
"In the course of his ongoing visit to London for a meeting of Nigeria`s Honorary International Investors` Council, President Goodluck Jonathan became indisposed and could not be present at the opening of the meeting today," said Reuben Abati.
"President Jonathan has since been examined by competent medical practitioners. He has been advised to rest for a few days."
Abati added in an emailed statement that the president`s condition was "nothing serious and that the medical attention he has sought is only precautionary".
Jonathan, who turned 56 yesterday, is not publicly known to be suffering from any serious medical conditions.
He assumed the presidency in 2010 following the death of his predecessor Musa Yar`Adua.
Yar`Adua`s protracted illness, details of which were kept from the public, sparked a months-long political crisis in Africa`s most populous country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh