Nigeria`s president declares state of emergency in 3 states
Abuja: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday declared a state of emergency in three troubled northern states, where a radical Islamist outfit has been carrying out killings and battling with government forces.
In a televised address to the nation, Jonathan declared a "state of emergency in Adamawa, Yobe and Borno states".
In the address after two days of meetings with security chiefs, Jonathan said it has become obvious that members of the Boko Haram Islamic militant group and other sects were bent taking over some parts of Nigeria.
"What we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity," he said.
"These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country," the president said.
He did not remove the governors of the three states but ordered security forces to pay closer attention to the areas.
Boko Haram has killed more than 2,000 people since it started insurgency in 2009. It concentrates its activities in the three states where the emergency was declared with frequent shift to neighbouring states.
Recently a breakaway sect, Ansaru and a cult, Ombatse joined in the attacks and killings. On Thursday, Ombatse opened fire on police officers during an ambush in Nasarawa state, killing 30 of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH