Nigeria`s president declares state of emergency in 3 states
Abuja: Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday declared a state of emergency in three troubled northern states, where a radical Islamist outfit has been carrying out killings and battling with government forces.
In a televised address to the nation, Jonathan declared a "state of emergency in Adamawa, Yobe and Borno states".
In the address after two days of meetings with security chiefs, Jonathan said it has become obvious that members of the Boko Haram Islamic militant group and other sects were bent taking over some parts of Nigeria.
"What we are facing is not just militancy or criminality, but a rebellion and insurgency by terrorist groups which pose a very serious threat to national unity and territorial integrity," he said.
"These terrorists and insurgents seem determined to establish control and authority over parts of our beloved nation and to progressively overwhelm the rest of the country," the president said.
He did not remove the governors of the three states but ordered security forces to pay closer attention to the areas.
Boko Haram has killed more than 2,000 people since it started insurgency in 2009. It concentrates its activities in the three states where the emergency was declared with frequent shift to neighbouring states.
Recently a breakaway sect, Ansaru and a cult, Ombatse joined in the attacks and killings. On Thursday, Ombatse opened fire on police officers during an ambush in Nasarawa state, killing 30 of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'