Nikki Haley`s memoir to hit stands in 2012
Washington: Nikki Haley, South Carolina`s
Indian American Governor, is writing a memoir which would hit
the stands in January 2012, its publisher announced Thursday.
The Sentinel imprint of Penguin Group has acquired
the rights of memoir "Can`t Is Not An Option: My Story" in
which Haley, the first woman Indian American Governor, will
share many previously untold stories about her unique path to
electoral success, as well as her vision for the country and
the Republican Party.
World rights were acquired by Sentinel president and
publisher Adrian Zackheim from Robert B Barnett of Williams &
Connolly, who has represented among others US President Barack
Obama and several of his predecessors George W Bush and Bill
"Governor Haley has already had a fascinating
journey. She`s part of an all-American success story -- a
hardworking immigrant family that overcame great obstacles and
proved that the American dream is still possible for anyone.
And she is clearly a rising star in national politics,"
Zackheim said in a statement.
Haley, 39, became America`s youngest governor in
January 2011, after a contentious primary and general
Born and raised in Bamberg, South Carolina, Haley`s
parents, immigrants from Punjab, had left behind an
upper-middle-class lifestyle to give their children more
As the only Indian-Americans in a rural town, the
Randhawas experienced discrimination but were able to start a
successful small business.
Nikki began doing bookkeeping and taxes for her
parents in middle school, and her experience of fighting
government red tape would later influence her decision to join
the GOP and enter politics.
Haley won a seat in the South Carolina General
Assembly in 2004 and began challenging the state`s old guard
politicians for reforms, most notably a rule requiring
legislators to vote on all bills on the record.
She was reelected in 2006 and 2008 before running for
Governor in 2010.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers