Nine police officers shot dead in Mexico
Mexico City: Gunmen killed nine state police officers and wounded a tenth law enforcement agent in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, prosecutors said.
The officers were ambushed in the city of Apaxtla, the Guerrero state Attorney General`s Office said.
The state police officers were on a routine patrol when the gunmen opened fire on them on the road that leads to the town of Tepoxtepec, the AG`s office said in a statement.
Federal, state and municipal police responded to the shooting, sealed off the area and removed the bodies from the crime scene, the AG`s office said.
The officers killed in the ambush were participating in "Operation Safe Guerrero", which was launched in 2011 with federal government support in an effort to reduce the soaring crime rate in the state, the Novedades de Acapulco newspaper reported.
The state police officers were attacked around 9.30 pm on Tuesday by about 30 armed civilians, who engaged them in a shootout that lasted about 20 minutes, the newspaper said, citing official sources.
The gunmen fled the scene in a convoy of more than 10 vehicles and their whereabouts is not known, Novedades de Acapulco said.
The surviving officers, whose numbers have not been released, radioed for help and several units headed to the scene from Chilpancingo, the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark