Nine police officers shot dead in Mexico
Mexico City: Gunmen killed nine state police officers and wounded a tenth law enforcement agent in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, prosecutors said.
The officers were ambushed in the city of Apaxtla, the Guerrero state Attorney General`s Office said.
The state police officers were on a routine patrol when the gunmen opened fire on them on the road that leads to the town of Tepoxtepec, the AG`s office said in a statement.
Federal, state and municipal police responded to the shooting, sealed off the area and removed the bodies from the crime scene, the AG`s office said.
The officers killed in the ambush were participating in "Operation Safe Guerrero", which was launched in 2011 with federal government support in an effort to reduce the soaring crime rate in the state, the Novedades de Acapulco newspaper reported.
The state police officers were attacked around 9.30 pm on Tuesday by about 30 armed civilians, who engaged them in a shootout that lasted about 20 minutes, the newspaper said, citing official sources.
The gunmen fled the scene in a convoy of more than 10 vehicles and their whereabouts is not known, Novedades de Acapulco said.
The surviving officers, whose numbers have not been released, radioed for help and several units headed to the scene from Chilpancingo, the state capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Bihar polls: Nitish's minister Kushwaha caught on camera taking bribe, suspended from party post