No decision on future troop presence in Iraq: US
Washington: The Obama administration denied a news report on Saturday it had made a final decision to pull almost all US troops out of Iraq by a year-end withdrawal deadline.
The White House and Pentagon both denied a report citing unnamed US officials saying they completely dropped the idea of possibly keeping a significant contingent in Iraq as trainers for Iraqi security forces beyond 2011.
US and Iraqi officials have been negotiating the prospects for up to several thousand US troops staying, but the main sticking point has been an Iraqi refusal to grant the military personnel legal immunity, as Washington has demanded.
The issue could be a deal-breaker but it is a sensitive one for Iraqis, who have seen abuses by US troops and contractors through the more than eight years since the US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.
After ending combat operations last year, the last 44,000 US troops are scheduled to leave Iraq by the end of the year under the terms of a bilateral security pact.
But the Obama administration insisted no decision had been reached about the training relationship with Iraq or how many, if any, US troops might stay past the December 31 deadline. The report said only about 160 soldiers attached to the US embassy in Baghdad would stay behind.
"President Obama has repeatedly made it clear that we are committed to keeping our agreement with the Iraqi government to remove all of our troops by the end of this year," White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"At the same time we`re building a comprehensive partnership with Iraq under the Strategic Framework Agreement, including a robust security relationship, and discussions with the Iraqis about the nature of that relationship are ongoing."
The Defence Department issued an almost identical statement, but spokesman George Little also said, "Suggestions that a final decision has been reached about our training relationship with the Iraqi government are wrong."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM