No decision on future troop presence in Iraq: US
Washington: The Obama administration denied a news report on Saturday it had made a final decision to pull almost all US troops out of Iraq by a year-end withdrawal deadline.
The White House and Pentagon both denied a report citing unnamed US officials saying they completely dropped the idea of possibly keeping a significant contingent in Iraq as trainers for Iraqi security forces beyond 2011.
US and Iraqi officials have been negotiating the prospects for up to several thousand US troops staying, but the main sticking point has been an Iraqi refusal to grant the military personnel legal immunity, as Washington has demanded.
The issue could be a deal-breaker but it is a sensitive one for Iraqis, who have seen abuses by US troops and contractors through the more than eight years since the US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein.
After ending combat operations last year, the last 44,000 US troops are scheduled to leave Iraq by the end of the year under the terms of a bilateral security pact.
But the Obama administration insisted no decision had been reached about the training relationship with Iraq or how many, if any, US troops might stay past the December 31 deadline. The report said only about 160 soldiers attached to the US embassy in Baghdad would stay behind.
"President Obama has repeatedly made it clear that we are committed to keeping our agreement with the Iraqi government to remove all of our troops by the end of this year," White House spokesman Tommy Vietor said.
"At the same time we`re building a comprehensive partnership with Iraq under the Strategic Framework Agreement, including a robust security relationship, and discussions with the Iraqis about the nature of that relationship are ongoing."
The Defence Department issued an almost identical statement, but spokesman George Little also said, "Suggestions that a final decision has been reached about our training relationship with the Iraqi government are wrong."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das