Norway gunman plotted to kill Obama in 2009
Washington: Norwegian mass killer Anders Behring Breivik planned to assassinate US President Barack Obama when he visited the country to collect his Nobel Prize in 2009.
Breivik, who admitted carrying out twin attacks in Oslo on 22 July 2011, had plotted to attack the Nobel award ceremony with a car bomb.
He told police that he had earlier planned to bomb the Nobel ceremony as a symbolic target with millions watching across the world, but he scrapped the plan, as security would be too tight to get the bomb close enough to Oslo City Hall where the award was presented.
According to Norwegian paper, Dabladet, Breivik told police that an attack on the Nobel ceremony would also kill too few ‘traitors’.
Breivik also said that while Obama was a high profile US target, it would serve his nationalist goals better to target his attacks closer to home, The Daily Mail reports.
Breivik, 32, has confessed to setting off a bomb that ripped through Oslo`s government district, killing eight people, then opening fire at the summer camp of the governing Labor Party`s youth wing, killing another sixty-nine.
His trial is set to begin on April 16. If declared mentally fit and convicted of terrorism, Breivik would face up to 21 years in prison or an alternative custody arrangement that could keep him behind bars indefinitely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!