`Now is not my time`: Christie rules out 2012 bid
Trenton: Republican Governor Chris
Christie announced Wednesday he would not be seeking the US presidency in 2012, saying "now is not my time" and recommitting himself to the people of New Jersey.
Christie, a popular governor in a traditionally
Democratic state, had been under pressure from some Republicans, unhappy with the current field, to run and take on President Barack Obama in November 2012.
"Over the last few weeks I`ve thought long and hard about
this decision," the 49-year-old rising star told reporters,
announcing his decision at the New Jersey state house in
"When you have serious people from across the spectrum,
not to mention from all across the country passionately
calling on you to do something as consequential as running for
president of the United States, I felt an obligation to
earnestly consider their advice," he said.
"I`ve explored the options and listened to so many people
and considered whether this was something that I needed to
take on. But in the end, what I`ve always felt was the right
decision remains the right decision today. Now is not my
His decision will disappoint those in the Republican
party unhappy with the current crop of candidates in a race so
far dominated by former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, a
Mormon, and conservative Texas Governor Rick Perry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside
- Wimbledon 2016: Roger Federer aims to end Marcus Willis fairytale
- Motihari gang-rape: Doctors in Bihar continue to use two-finger test, says NCW report
- New method that can kill cancer cells in 2 hours developed!