`Now is not my time`: Christie rules out 2012 bid
Trenton: Republican Governor Chris
Christie announced Wednesday he would not be seeking the US presidency in 2012, saying "now is not my time" and recommitting himself to the people of New Jersey.
Christie, a popular governor in a traditionally
Democratic state, had been under pressure from some Republicans, unhappy with the current field, to run and take on President Barack Obama in November 2012.
"Over the last few weeks I`ve thought long and hard about
this decision," the 49-year-old rising star told reporters,
announcing his decision at the New Jersey state house in
"When you have serious people from across the spectrum,
not to mention from all across the country passionately
calling on you to do something as consequential as running for
president of the United States, I felt an obligation to
earnestly consider their advice," he said.
"I`ve explored the options and listened to so many people
and considered whether this was something that I needed to
take on. But in the end, what I`ve always felt was the right
decision remains the right decision today. Now is not my
His decision will disappoint those in the Republican
party unhappy with the current crop of candidates in a race so
far dominated by former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, a
Mormon, and conservative Texas Governor Rick Perry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery