`Now is not my time`: Christie rules out 2012 bid
Trenton: Republican Governor Chris
Christie announced Wednesday he would not be seeking the US presidency in 2012, saying "now is not my time" and recommitting himself to the people of New Jersey.
Christie, a popular governor in a traditionally
Democratic state, had been under pressure from some Republicans, unhappy with the current field, to run and take on President Barack Obama in November 2012.
"Over the last few weeks I`ve thought long and hard about
this decision," the 49-year-old rising star told reporters,
announcing his decision at the New Jersey state house in
"When you have serious people from across the spectrum,
not to mention from all across the country passionately
calling on you to do something as consequential as running for
president of the United States, I felt an obligation to
earnestly consider their advice," he said.
"I`ve explored the options and listened to so many people
and considered whether this was something that I needed to
take on. But in the end, what I`ve always felt was the right
decision remains the right decision today. Now is not my
His decision will disappoint those in the Republican
party unhappy with the current crop of candidates in a race so
far dominated by former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, a
Mormon, and conservative Texas Governor Rick Perry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?